Friday, February 6, 2009

Reaching Up To Heaven!


At the store the other day, I noticed a small child with both hands raised up to his mom wanting to be picked up. I thought at that time...how sweet!

The next morning, I was doing my morning devotion when I received an e-mail about a friend who had fell and broke her hip. This fall only coming after a couple of months after her husband passed away.

Then, I received another e-mail from a friend who told me about a childhood friend we both knew had passed away. Only two months after she had lost her daughter due to a car wreck. My heart went out to the husband/father.

Then, I had the opporunity to read the book "Parting Waters", by Jeanne Damoff. It was a true story about how their son had drowned, brought back to life by CPR, and told he would never walk, talk, or eat again.

As I was praying, I stopped and asked God how should I pray? Should I pray that they would be delivered from their troubles--or their troubles will go away? Or should I pray for courage to carry on though the difficulties that belabor them?

Romans 8:26: "The Spirit also helps in our weaknesses". God's Spirit is joined to ours when we pray. He intercedes for us "with groanings which cannot be uttered." he is touched by our troubles; He signs often as He prays. He cares for us deeply--more than we care for ourselves. Best part is, He prays 'according to the will of God" (v.27). He knows the right words to say.

Therefore, I needn't worry about getting my request exactly right. I need only to hunger for God and to reach up knowing that He cares!

"O God, too weak and worn for words, I shrink
From trials that deeply wound, and yet to think
Your Holy Spirit helps me as I pray
And gives a voice to what I cannot say! --Gustafson

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A touching reminder that we don't have to do anything perfectly in order to get close to God. He only wants us to pray, which means to let Him know that we know we need Him, but we don't need perfect words for our prayers.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post and a reminder to all we do not have to get our words exactly right when talking to our Lord and Savior. He knows all about us and only desires for us to come to Him as we are. Praise Him for being our best Friend! Love your blog and will visit again! Blessings!

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post, Ginger.
I needed these words today...
With love,
Jlo

Anonymous said...

Oh, thank you for this post! I have struggled with how to pray over a particular situation lately and it's comforting to know that Christ knows my heart, and He is far wiser than I'll ever be. I needed to hear this today. Thanks again!