Monday, December 1, 2008

If You Want Something Done

Have you ever heard the old saying, "If you want something done, give it to a busy woman?"

Woman can be overwhelmed with their many daily duties, but if someone ask "Where is my coat", she can instantly answer and tell them the location. If we put it up, we remember where it is.

How many times has your hubby asked where his favorite jeans are and they are hanging right in front of him? How many times have you asked someone to do something for you and they totally forget?

If you were to walk into my house--you would see that I have a place for everything, and most often, everything is in its place. That's not to say the house is spotless all the time because the truth is--life happens, especially if you are constantly on the go. But it never takes me long to get it very clean because everything has a place. Following are things I've learned from years of experience:

"Never touch the same paper twice."

"Do it now!"

"You must prioritize. People don't plan to fail, they just fail to plan."

Wow! Had I actually created healthy habits in my life without realizing it? How did I do that? How can I help my friends that do not have it together?

If you are like my friend and constantly looking for your car keys, or your purse, or where you laid todays mail...let me encourage you to just make this one simple change in your life. Make a place for them! And ALWAYS put them in the same place. It will take practice at first, but once you develop the habit--it will remain a habit! Then once you have conquered your new change-add another one. The main point is...whatever you do, do it with consistency.

My days fly by with duties and chores and being busy can be a good thing, if you're productive. But busy can also be just another word for activity.

An article I once read said that the acronym for the word BUSY is: Being Under Satan's Yolk.

Ouch! That will cause you to stop and evaluate what is a good use of your time. Sometimes people are just busy because they like to feel the rush of being on the go all the time.

Slow down, take a breath and do regular evaluatins of your "busyness." Ask if everything you are doing is the best thing for you to be doing.

While doing my personal evaluations, I'll find my priorities change from season to season. Sometimes TIME is more valuable to me than MONEY, but other times, MONEY is more important to me than TIME.

But if I had to choose just one tip for church leaders, planners or moms--it would be to recruit HELP! This is my word to you...TEAMWORK. Together Everyone Accomplishes More!

Just remember that the givers also need to be the receivers at times. Give all you can, but learn to also be a gracious receiver.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very good and to the point. These are things I have learned and sometimes still have challenges implementing, especially when major changes occur. I have always loved, "Fail to plan; plan to fail." Or "Plan your work and work your plan." It's all about preparation, isn't it?

Thanks for this!

KJ

caryn said...

wonderful post and very well written. I am looking forward to reading more of your blog in the future!